Avocados are loaded with vitamins and minerals and considered to be one of the world’s healthiest foods. In fact, you get all of this healthy goodness from one baseball sized serving:
So, why not take one of the earth’s most nutrient rich treasures and incorporate it into the recipe for your favorite guilty pleasure? Here’s everything you need to know about making delicious (and healthy) chocolate cake that substitutes avocado for eggs/butter. You’re welcome!!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed until smooth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sucanat sugar
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed until smooth
- 1 cups sugar (HHL recommends 1/3 cup of Monk fruit sugar)
- 5 tablespoons dark chocolate cocao powder
The Dirty Work:
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9” round cake pans.
- Whisk first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk olive oil and next four ingredients. Once combined, add sugar.
- Pour wet avocado mixture into flour mixture and mix well until smooth. Divide batter evenly between cake pans. Bake cake in two 9” round cake pans, checking for doneness after 30 minutes.
- To frost, allow cakes to cool in pans, then turn out after 15 minutes to cool completely. Add a layer of frosting on first cake layer, then top with second cake layer. Add remaining frosting to the top of cake.
If you found this article helpful, share the tasty goodness with your friends and family by clicking the button below!